I was asked on Twitter what my method is for making the halftone gradient in the text of my A Most Excellent Adventure design. So here are the steps.
1) Make a rectangle and fill with a black and white gradient.
2) Object -> Rasterize -> Grayscale, 300dpi
3) Effect -> Pixelate -> Color Halftone -> find the settings that give you the desired effect. For this example, I am using Max Radius 8 and set all the channels to 45 degrees. Now you have a raster halftone gradient, but I still need to vectorize this.
4) Object -> Live Trace -> Tracing Options -> again, find the settings that give you the desired effect. For this example, the important options I have set are: Mode: Black and White, Threshold: 30, Fills: Checked, Strokes: Unchecked, Path Fitting: 2px, Minimum Area: 2px. Note that since this halftone gradient is intended to be two colors, I am leaving “Ignore White” unchecked, but if you are wanting your halftone gradient to fade into transparency, you would check the “Ignore White” option.
5) Object -> Live Trace -> Expand. Now you have a vector black and white halftone gradient.
6) Use the Magic Wand to select the black fills and set to desired color, and do the same for the white fills.
7) For the rest of this example I will use that gradient as a fill in some text by bringing my text shapes in front of the gradient, and make sure the text is in one group and the gradient in another group.
8 ) Object -> Clipping Mask -> Make